Posted by: Department of Health and Human Services on Mar 07, 2019
The Division of Commissioned Corps Personnel and Readiness (DCCPR) is located within the Office of the Surgeon General. DCCPR provides oversight and management for over 6,500 Unites States Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps (Corps) officers distributed throughout the United States in various Agencies. The mission of the Corps is protecting, promoting, and advancing the health and safety of the nation. As America’s uniformed service of public health professionals, the Commissioned Corps achieves this mission through:
• Leadership and excellence in public health practice
• The advancement of public health science
• Rapid and effective response to public health needs
Key components in the management of the Corps by DCCPR include recruitment, assignments, promotions, awards, training, readiness and deployment, and administrative activities including medical reviews, payroll, travel and policy.
The position, Policy Analyst, is located in the Policy Group within the Division of Commissioned Corps Personnel and Readiness (DCCPR), Office of the Surgeon General (OSG). DCCPR provides the administrative, policy and operational management of the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps. The Policy Group develops and maintains all personnel policy issuances and directives related to Corps operations, personnel, training, and readiness. Policy issuances and directives include areas such as officer assignment, deployment, promotion, pay, and retirement which must be published in the Commissioned Corps Issuance System (CCIS). In addition, the Policy Group coordinates and processes administrative and adverse personnel actions. The Policy Group has the responsibility to collaborate with all operational and administrative branches within DCCPR and OSG on all matters related to legal and policy activity of the Corps.
Develop policy directives and issuances required for the management of the Public Health Service Commissioned Corps (Commissioned Corps) under the direction of the Office of the Surgeon General and in accordance with established departmental guidance. Specifically,
• Develop policies relating to personnel standards, promotions, awards, conduct, readiness, training, career development guidance including commissioning, professional and officers competency requirements for the Commissioned Corps.
• Review and interpret policy and revisions of current policy, incorporating findings and needed revisions to ensure consistency across various policies.
• Under direction of the Policy Group Director, prepare written materials summarizing policy content and impact of updates/revisions.
• Experience in applying analytical and evaluative methods, policies and techniques principles, concepts, methods, standards, and practices sufficient to assist in the development and interpretation of policies.
• Knowledge and understanding of military workforce policy, rules and regulations.
• Proficiency in analyzing facts and drafting written communication of a legal nature.
• Experience working with stakeholders internal and external to PHS (i.e. Agencies, Department of Defense, etc.).
Location: Division of Commissioned Corps Personnel and Readiness (DCCPR)/ Policy Group; Office of the Surgeon General
Supervisory (Y/N): No
Salary Range: $45 - $60 hourly rate/Commensurate with Experience
Term: Up to six-months; 40 hours/week
For additional information, please contact:
High school or ged
Commensurate with experience
HR. Website URL: